MLK SERVICE DAY PROJECTS
JAN 15, 2024
St. Catherine's will be honoring the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend in a variety of ways.
Contact Harriett Pyburn (email@example.com) with any questions.
On Monday, January 15, we will participate in a service project honoring the Martin Luther King holiday (the only federal holiday that is also designated by Congress as a national day of service – a “day on, not a day off.”) We will be working at Family Promise's newest transitional house that will extend the number of families they can serve at one time. The house is located behind East Cobb Methodist Church on Roswell Road (2325 Roswell Rd). All ages and abilities are invited. If you have a pair of hand clippers or lopers, please bring them. Otherwise, we will provide all supplies.
Below is a sample of tasks we will be doing and sign up HERE to let us know you are coming - we have shifts at 10am and 1pm. Both shifts will include light refreshments.
Monday, January 15 10am-noon
This time slot is ideal for families with children
- painting Kindness Rocks to be used in landscaping installation
- working on an art piece for inside the house
- pressure washing and sanding outdoor furniture
- pruning roses
- pruning and thinning/transplanting some canna lilies
- spreading mulch after pruning complete
- cutting down very small volunteer trees (hand clippers will work)
- cleaning porch (scrub siding, wash window, sweep and scrub floor)
- cleaning, sanding and taping front door for painting
- cleaning and sanding handrails at stairs
- removing some unneeded items from the home and transporting them to church dumpster, or individual cars to take to pre-set donation site or dump (if you have a truck or van and would be willing to make a delivery, please contact Harriett Pyburn)
- testing outdoor hoses and determining if they are usable or trash
Monday, January 15 1pm-3pm
this time slot will require fewer volunteers and requires more skill
- pressure washing vinyl siding
- installing kindness rocks as art installation
- installing window blinds inside
- spray painting outdoor furniture (that was cleaned and sanded in the morning)
- paint front door
- paint stair rails